Thursday, October 3, 2013

Interactive Library Displays to Connect with Children…


copyright Leigh McDonald

I thought I would do a post about my other job this time.  I work part time at a local public library.  Part of my job is to do all the displays in the Youth Services Department (children’s dept.)  This includes 3 bulletin boards, a large glass case set up to look like a house and a display case behind the YS Reference desk.  The more that I do these displays the faster and more creative I become. 
  
The glass house has to be changed out every one to two months, so it keeps me hopping!
  

My latest bulletin boards have been interactive.  What I mean is that instead of being only something to look at these encourage children to participate.  The picture is of a bulletin board I did inspired by Eric Carle’s book A House for Hermit Crab.  I put a file folder below it with a “Can You Find It?” exercise the children can do.

Interactive Bulletin Board

This is an Upstart purchased bulletin board with a dragon head and scales.  The kids fill out a scale with their first name, age, and favorite book.   I want displays to create a sense of community in the library for children and their parents.  It gives them a good feeling every time they walk by the bulletin board that they contributed to.  They feel a part of the children’s department at the library.  That is a really good thing!

I would love to hear about other great library displays you see.  Send emails and photos to:  leighemcdonald@adventuresinquilting.com.  It might be in a future post!  Be sure and let me know if I can use your photos on the blog.

Happy quilting,
Leigh

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Your eye for colors and textures in quilting lends itself perfectly to library displays as well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. It is fun to work with something that is temporary. I know I can change it in a month or two!

      Delete